James & Hoffman has a large and varied Wage and Hour practice. We represent public and private sector employees who have had wages improperly withheld and who have worked overtime hours without proper compensation. We frequently partner with co-counsel from the law firm of Bernstein & Lipsett, P.C., who likewise have extensive experience representing employees in wage cases.
We have represented plaintiffs in individual and class actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”) and other statutes and administrative regulations guaranteeing employees fair compensation for the work they perform. As part of this work, we have litigated precedent-setting court cases, resulting in greater wage protections for workers. Some of our victories include negotiating favorable settlements on behalf of more than 15,000 federal government employees who were underpaid; obtaining a finding that a restaurant owner acted in contempt of a court order by threatening employees with deportation if they pursued overtime pay; prevailing at trial on behalf of an employee of the Naval Criminal Investigative Services who was misclassified as “exempt”; and obtaining a ruling that a regulation issued by the Office of Personnel Management was likely unlawful.
We have often successfully resolved wage cases through settlement agreements early in litigation. As a result, we have secured millions of dollars in backpay and damages on behalf of employees. Recently, we resolved a series of cases on behalf of hundreds of FBI employees in various job classifications who were improperly denied overtime compensation.
We are currently pursuing wage and hour cases on behalf of several groups of employees. If you are interested in more information about any of these cases, please contact us:
- Diagnostic Radiological Technologists at Department of Veterans Affairs
- Watch Officers at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence
- Employees who attended training courses at the Department of Defense and Federal Bureau of Investigation without receiving pay for all of their after-hours coursework
- Employees who did not receive pay during the 2018-2019 U.S. Government shutdown
- Language Analysts at the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Victim Specialists at the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Forensic Child Interview Specialists at the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Intelligence Analysts at the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Staff Operations Specialists at the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Intelligence Research Specialists at the Drug Enforcement Agency
- Employees of Prince George’s County who were not paid for all of their overtime hours